Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Last post

The past few nights at work, I have found myself singing, loudly, passionately, but also absentmindedly. I'm not really listening to the music I'm making, or even consciously making it; rather, it's just a vent.
I usually do sing a lot, but never at work (obviously.) Last night I was cleaning the toilets and belting out some Guys & Dolls. It must have been really echoing through the office (as most bathrooms do) because Reid poked his head into the girls' bathroom and just smirked at me with funny eyes. I was sitting on the floor with the clorox beside me, a dripping rag, and the scrubby brush.
"Oh hi" I said nonchalantly, getting back to my scrubbing. Then his face came clearer to me, and I realized what I was doing. I was spewing these clamorous noises from my mouth, sitting on a dirty bathroom floor, and yet I was entirely absorbed in my mind. This may sound strange, but I believe I was experiencing some form of catharsis. For me, the music was just a way to release any sort of emotional expression. Never before have I felt that I am so haphazardly chasing endlessly escaping goals. Like John said earlier in the semester, I just need there to be more hours in the day. Rawr. I guess that's what Poldy might say if he were a stronger lion.

Today in Ulysses, we'll be discussing the final periodless episode, Penelope. As I have been reading it, I haven't been able to stop laughing because I just feel even more discombobulated and lost in a mire of chasing down thoughts that just melt into each other.

Anyhow, all I really wanted to say is that I truly admire those students who have children on top of everything else, and who still manage to get through college. I think Jennifer is a true model of someone so dedicated, so busy, and still so successful in class. By the way, her "I dreamed a dream" today was beautiful! I just closed my eyes and remembered every other time I have heard that song (a definite favorite.) It is such a moving song. I think it is important that Jennifer helped me to remember this song from other places, other times.

As the last bit of the semester is coming full circle, I now must try to "unweave, unwind, unravel" my mind. Only four papers to go, and two exams. Thanks to everyone in the class who has contributed wonderful content to the class via blogs and presentations. I always send interesting blogs on to my friend Anna who reads them and calls me about them. Anyhow, I think it's good to remember that this content goes out to the public, and we are not the only ones reading it! In some ways, you could say we are "nourishing the life (not too far from the yew tree) of significant soil."


Here's one song I've been humming around in my head (It's so dorky! and low-brow, but it's oh so fun):

When you see a guy reach for stars in the sky
You can bet that he's doing it for some doll.
When you spot a John waiting out in the rain
Chances are he's insane as only a John can be for a Jane.
When you meet a gent paying all kinds of rent
For a flat that could flatten the Taj Mahal.
Call it sad, call it funny.
But it's better than even money
That the guy's only doing it for some doll.
When you see a Joe saving have of his dough
You can bet there'll be mink in it for some doll.
When a bum buys wine like a bum can't afford
It's a cinch that the bum is under the thumb of some little broad.
When you meet a mug lately out of the jug
And he's still lifting platinum folderol
Call it hell, call it heaven
But it's probable twelve to seven
That the guy's only doing it for some doll.

When you see a sport and his cash has run short
Make a bet that he's banking it with some doll.
When a guy wears tails with the front gleaming white
Who the hell do you think he's tickling pink on Saturday night?
When a lazy slob takes a goody steady job,
And he smells from vitalis and barbasol.
Call it dumb, call it clever
Ah, but you can get odds forever
That the guy's only doing it for some doll
Some doll, some doll
The guy's only doing it for some doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment